A hi-visibility “Antarctic Survey Orange” front cover and “Polar Night Black” back cover, with a subtle varnish effect featuring a topographic map of Antarctica. The body pages feature Field Notes' popular dot-graph paper printed in light gray.
Printed on Yupo Synthetic paper, an amazing tearproof and waterproof paper extruded from polypropylene pellets in Chesapeake, Virginia. Here are 12 semi-scientific tests Field Notes conducted to demonstrate its durability and general awesome-ness. They're well worth a watch.
- TEST 1: WATERPROOF
- TEST 2: VISIBILITY
- TEST 3: WIND RESISTANCE
- TEST 4: BALLISTICS
- TEST 5: VACUUM
- TEST 6: TENSILE STRENGTH
- TEST 7: COMPRESSION
- TEST 8: ACID RESISTANCE
- TEST 9: FLAME RESISTANCE
- TEST 10: EXTREME TEMPERATURE
- TEST 11: ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
- TEST 12: ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE
While you may not put this notebook through its paces, the Expedition edition traveled to the South Pole with explorer Ben Saunders when he and his team retraced Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s ill-fated journey to the Pole and back, on foot and unsupported, in October 2013. They made it.
Synthetic paper is nonporous and doesn’t absorb ink like conventional papers. Ballpoint pens, pencils, or fine tip Sharpies work best.
- Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- Cover: waterproof/tearproof Yupo Synthetic 74#C, with thick, brute force applications of “Hi-Visibility Orange” and “Low-Visibility Black” soy-based Saphira inks and a tinted spot varnish.
- Innards: waterproof/tearproof Yupo Synthetic 57#T with a 1-color application of “Cartographer’s Gray” soy-based Saphira ink. (Use pencil/ballpoint pen for best results.)
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- Bound by a Harris Bookbinder 6-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- Corners rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) by a Challenge DCM round-corner machine.
- Dot-graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (8.9cm × 13.9cm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.