Field Notes's 49th Quarterly Edition is limited to 33,333 3-Packs. Each memo book cover features a unique snowflake illustration rendered by Brendan Dawes. Each snowflake is different, so every book is different, and so for the first time, they've individually numbered each book, making them a fun and unique collectible.
Inspired by the physics behind how ice crystals are formed in the atmosphere, Brendan crafted an algorithm that produced and rendered 99,999 lovely snowflake illustrations. Read the whole story here. Lake County Press printed the covers over the course of five days on a next-generation digital press with white ink on “Deep Blue” Mohawk Carnival Vellum 80# cover. The Finch Opaque inside pages feature a special light-blue-gray dot-graph pattern. The books are bound with glossy white staples.
Of course, while each book's snowflake is unique, your notes already make every set of Field Notes you fill unique.
- 99,999 Unique snowflakes created using a generative process designed by Brendan Dawes (brendandawes.com).
- Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
- Cover: Mohawk Carnival Vellum 80#C “Deep Blue,” with white digital UV ink.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Night of Chill Blue” soy-based Toyo ink.
- Covers printed on a Hewlett-Packard Indigo 29" digital press. Innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster 40" 2-color perfecting press.
- Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
- Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- Dot grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.